Workman’s Compensation: Frequently Asked Questions

workmans compensation lawyer billings, workmans comp billings, workers comp billingsWhen you are trying to get workman’s compensation for a work-related injury, a lot of questions usually come up. If you haven’t gone through the process of fighting for workers comp insurance, you probably are not prepared for everything that is required of you and what to make sure you go about it the right way. While there are questions that you can find answers to here, if you have been injured on-the-job you should consult with a lawyer that is experienced in workman’s comp claims and can help you get answers to your individual and specific needs. In Billings, Montana, Tourtlotte Law Firm is highly-experienced in helping injured employee’s file their claims and win their workman’s comp cases.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I have to report the accident to my employer? Yes. You need to file your report and there is information that SHOULD be in the report that could help with your claim. Some injuries are not noticeable until days after the accident so be sure to file a report even if you do not feel injured at the time or even if the injury is very minor. There is a time limit after an accident in which an injury can be reported so don’t hesitate to fill out a report just because an injury is not immediately identified.

Do I have to see a doctor? If you are going to file a worker’s compensation claim, you will need medical records and proof of the injury. Your employer might require you to see a physician of their choosing so before you spend money and time visiting your own doctor, make sure your employer doesn’t already have one in place.

What if the injury was not my fault? Worker’s compensation isn’t really based around who is at fault. However, if the injury was self-inflicted or happened under the influence of illegal drugs or alcohol, you will not be awarded benefits. Most employers will request drug/alcohol screenings after an accident to rule out that factor.

What if my injury is not the result of an accident, but long-term exposure to a hazardous work environment? Employees can receive workman’s comp benefits for work-related illness and injuries that stem from the work environment rather than a one-time accident. For example, employees exposed to lead, carbon monoxide, and other harmful agents can suffer illness and injury due to the environment and can be awarded workman’s comp benefits. High-stress jobs can cause significant health issues to some and could be awarded benefits. This type of situation depends on the type of injury or illness and the hazards that the work environment exposes the employees to. In this circumstance, you should definitely seek the advice of a legal professional, like Tourtlotte Law, before you start any workman’s comp proceedings.

In any workman’s comp claim or case, you should understand that the workman’s compensation team is armed with legal counsel. They will do what they can to not have to pay out the benefits for a work-related injury. They may try to deny that the injury was work-related, they may try to settle for less than you should receive, and they could try different tactics that are not legal to get out of having to pay out a claim. It is in your best interest to make sure you are backed up by a strong, experienced legal team that knows how to fight back against powerful workman’s compensation attorney’s in Billings.

If you find yourself in a workman’s comp battle, don’t hesitate to contact our professional team at Tourtlotte Law. We are ready to help you fight and win your case.